Thursday, June 13, 2013

Bartholemeau


Hey everyone! So I made it through my first week at the MTC. Let me just tell you all, it is wonderful here. I leave for Detroit on Monday the 17th at 3:30 am. Lucky me right? 

Alright, so here is what we do at the MTC:

1. wake up
2. get ready
3. study
4. breakfast
5. study
6. study
7. class
8. study
9. lunch
10. study
11. study
12. class
13. dinner
14. study some more
15. and some more
16. and some more
17. study just one more time
18. wait just kidding, study one last time
19. plan for tomorrow
20. get ready for bed
21. go to bed.

Sometimes we get to go to the gym. 

Yah, so we do a lot of studying. I'm pretty sure that I did more studying my first 2 days here than I ever have in my life. My first day here we were thrown right into MTC life. Literally. I got out of the car, got my tags and got to work. It was cool though. 

There is a time warp here. Every day feels like a week! My district is the best. So are my companions Sister Bailey and Sister Lundgren. I love them so much! My teachers, Brother Roberts and Brother Perry, are super cool! I love them! 

So today is my first P-day. It's been very eventful and it's not even noon. First off, I get to wear jeans. YES! Second, while we were all studying in our residence hall, Sister Lundgren yells "A MOUSE!!!" Yes. There is a mouse in our room! He's cute and little and grey and I named him Bartholemeau. So all of us were screaming (I should also mention that Sisters Cutler and Micklesen live with us too, they are also awesome!) and the mouse hid under the bed behind Sister Cutler's bag. She got the bag out and scared the mouse off while we all screamed. I was supposed to catch it with the trash can but stood on the ladder and screamed instead. I should also mention that Sister Bailey is terrified of mice. She's like Indiana Jones with snakes. The mouse is now hiding behind one of ourcabinets. He squeezed through a crack this big ---> ll. No joke. Did you know that mice can collapse their skulls? Creepy. So as we are trying to scare the mouse out and Sister Bailey is on the verge of tears singing "I'll go out the door like you want me to go" to the tune of I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go Dear Lord, the fire alarm goes off. No there was not a fire. They were testing the fire alarms which we knew but forgot because of our visit from Bartholemeau. It was quite an eventful morning. I get to do my laundry and go to the temple. I AM SO EXCITED TO GO TO THE TEMPLE!!! 

Last night we had gym. We all showered after at the same time and sang in the shower together! Obviously, not in the same stall and we only sang hymns, cause we're good little missionaries :) It was pretty awesome! SHOWER BONDING! 

A little bit about district 26-A:

-We wrote thank you on our napkins for the people that work at the cafeteria. Sister Cutler wrote "gracias", but spelled it "grasis". WRONG!

-People tell me how tall I am because I obviously don't know I'm short.

-Sister Lundgren wants to convert the "Ain't nobody got time for that lady" because she lives in Detroit.

-Elder Bronson only quotes Monsters Inc. and Nacho Libre, drinks 4 cups of chocolate milk at every meal and gets excited about everything. Literally, everything. He'd be excited if he found a toothpick on the ground.

-Sister Mickelsen, she died once.

-Elder Lee uses the elliptical to burn off all the cod nuggets he eats.

-Elder Ault laughs at everything and speaks Chinese.

-Elder Gonzalez has the answer to everything.

-Sister Bailey is from Gauna, but has lived in Arkansas since she was five. She wants to serve in "the hood" and doesn't like hot dogs because she thinks she's eating Scooby Doo.

-Elder Olkjer graduated from high school a month ago. He also smashed his hand before he got here and insists on smashing all of his fingers on that same hand.

-Elder Robacher is captain Kirk. How do I know that? He always forgets to call himself Elder Robacher. 

We all have a great time. I learn so much from them. They all have such wonderful insights! I love them! We all act like best friends and we've only known each other for a week. 

Here's some cool facts. The day I came into the MTC I entered with over 900 other missionaries. That's the most to enter the MTC. Crazy!!! And we all had to walk to the Marriot center for Devotional with Elder Arnold of the Seventy. I have been a part of history. Pretty darn cool. Oh and I got to shake Elder Arnolds hand and hug his wife (who also spoke). No big deal. They taught us about being obedient and being the best we can be. It was so great and uplifting. I took lots of notes. 

The food. It can be really good, but most of the time it looks like barf, but we get BYU ice cream on Wednesdays and Sundays which is pretty awesome. Can you guess what I have for dinner on those days? 

Although it's been fun, it's been hard. There have been so many times when I have felt inadequate, but I know that I am here for a purpose. The Lord has prepared people for me to teach and they are waiting for me. I have had to learn that my strengths are different than others and we have to work together. That's why were in companionships and we don't serve missions by ourselves. 

I cannot wait to get out into the field! I'm so stoked!  

Quote time!

"When Satan tries to remind you about your past, remind him about his future." 

Well, I love you all and I wish that I had more time. I don't know when my P-day in the field is, so I can't tell you when to expect another e-mail. 

Have a wonderful day! 

Love,

Sister Heywood

1 comment: