Monday, August 19, 2013

Just Call Me Barney!


Well, what is up my friends? 

I'm good. You know, just living the life here in Michigan.  
 

Here are some things about Ann Arbor that I don't think I told you before. 

-Jay walking IS NOT illegal, so basically people are always running in front of our car.

-The streets here are awful! They are so bumpy. It always feels like you’re on an old wooden roller coaster. 

So, lemme' tell you what happened this week. 

-Paul, a recent convert, finally prayed for us! He never prays out loud because he's scared to, but he did it. His prayer was short, sweet, simple and beautiful. I loved it! 

-We've started teaching Paul the stories in the Book of Mormon. I've started drawing them out and simplifying them so it's easier for him to understand. (I've sent pictures. My mom will have to post them. I hear she's getting better with all of this technology stuff. Love you Mommy!) Anyway, it's fun and cute and it gives me something to do during my free time at lunch. :) 






-We had specialized training which was awesome! We worked on doing roll plays with members. It was super cool and helpful. 

-We visited Clarence and Heidi yesterday. Clarence leaves for Italy tomorrow. He'll be there for 2 years. It was so sad saying bye! But, we got pictures, so that's cool :) I love them so much! 

-Sister Sherrow and I are trying to get really creative. There are a lot of families here with little kids, so sharing our message about missionary work just won't be interesting for the kids. SO we've been trying to come up with all kinds of kid friendly messages and visuals. We have one that we will be trying out for the first time tonight. Here's how it goes (I have to give my Mia Maid teacher credit for it because I stole the idea from her. Thanks Sister Summerhayes! Mom, you will also have to put the pictures in here :)): 

We all like sundaes right? Right.

Well here's some ice cream.
 
But a sundae isn't a sundae without toppings.

I've got some good toppings for you.

How about Salsa?! No?

Ok how about carrots?!
 
What? You don't like carrots on your ice cream?

Alright, here's a really good one. 

How about cheese? Gross? What?
 
Ok how about?

Hot fudge, bananas and whipped cream?


 

Yes?! Yah, I like those too.

Well, this is like Sundays, the day!

Salsa, carrots and cheese are all really good things, but they aren't any good on Sundaes. 


 

That's just like things like shopping, going to the movies or the zoo or playing sports. They're all good things, but they aren't good to do on Sundays.

On Sunday we do things like read our scriptures, pray, go to church, spend time with our families.  


 

Then we will sing a cheesy song that we wrote. It goes like this: 

Sundaes, sundaes
What do we put on sundaes
Carrots, cheese and salsa?
No!
That's no good on ice cream
 
Sunday, Sunday,
We go to church on Sunday
We read and pray
And think of Christ all day
That's what we do on Sunday
 
Just like somethings are no good on ice cream
There are things we just don't do on Sunday.
 
Do we go to the zoo or movies?
No!
Play sports or go to the store?
No!
These things are good
Like salsa and cheese
But we just don't do them on Sundays 

Sunday, Sunday
We go to church on Sunday
We read and pray 
And think of Christ all day
That's what we do on Sunday.

We're the new Barney. What can I say?

I'll let you know how it goes tonight. :)

Something else really cool this week was that I got to see the church in action. Dawn's, a less-active in our ward, basement flooded. So many people from the ward showed up to help her husband, who is a non-member. I was amazed! People who don't even know Dawn came to help. 

Our investigator Danielle moved this week and again, tons of people showed up to help her. It was amazing.

The church is so wonderful like that! I wanted to cry it was so beautiful! Actually, I did cry. Of course I cried. I'm a crier. Most of you know that.

So, the reading. I don't know about you, but I LOVED it this week. Not that I don't every week, but I found so much yummy goodness in these books that I've never  tasted before! I was pretty stoked.

Two big things really stuck out to me.

1. The overall topics of these books were faith and obedience, which go hand in hand.

Jarom 1:9 says "Inasmuch as ye WILL keep my commandments ye SHALL prosper in the land."

And Omni 1:6 says, "Inasmuch as ye WILL NOT keep my commandments ye SHALL NOT prosper in the land."

There you go. I don't think I need to say anything more about that really.

2. Omni 1:26 says, "And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved."

Again, need I say more. Nope. This scripture says it all! 

I cross referenced it with Moroni 10:3-5:

"3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

 4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
 5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."

The reading assignment is Jacob 1-2



Also! Check this out!  (This is great!  Especially for anyone that doesn’t really know what our missionaries do)


Well, I love you all! Have a wonderful week! 

Love,

Sister Heywood

P.S. Pictures: 

-The one of me with the bee puppet on my lap is with a less-active family. Their mom made that puppet and the lady bug puppet that I'm talking to. Isn't it cool? 
 

-I tried to get pictures of how green it is here, but we were driving, so they didn't turn out too good.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment