Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Everyone Love Ukuleles


Well hello everybody! How you doing? Good? Good! Me too :)

This week was good! It was way better than the last! 

Sister Sherrow told me something really cool in studies. She was reading the bible dictionary (which is super cool by the way) and found that "gospel" means "good news." So I'm out here spreading the good news of Christ! I love that! The gospel is good news! I was so excited when I heard that. :) 

Story time: 

So a couple weeks ago I wanted to use the pepper, you know the spice that goes with salt? Yeah. That. Well, I couldn't find it. I asked Sister Sherrow if she knew where it was and she said she threw it away. Why? Because it was old and went bad. Uh....Pepper doesn't go bad. I was upset because I like pepper. I told her that pepper doesn't go bad and she thought it did. I thought...ok why don't you know that. We even asked the people we had dinner with that night if pepper went bad and they said they didn't think so.

Well, this week Sister Sherrow was using the pepper...the spice. Here is how our conversation went:

Me: Did you dig the pepper out of the trash?
Her: No.......
Me: Then where’d you get it?
Her: The cupboard......
Me: I thought you threw it away!
Her: What? Why would I do that? 
Me: You said that it went bad!
Her: What?!.....Wait...NO! I threw away a pepper that was in the fridge!

Yup, we realized that day I asked where the pepper was she thought I meant the bell pepper, not the spice and I thought she meant the spice, not the bell pepper. We had a good laugh over that. :)

So this week we went on exchanges. I stayed here with our sister training leader Sister Hartley and Sister Sherrow went to Walled Lake (where ever that is).

Sister Hartley and I are way too much alike. We had a lot of fun. She went to BYU-I and has the same track as me. She's a theater major and loves to sing. She's the same age as me. She's the same height as me and she has the same shoes as me. 
 
Let me tell you all about exchanges. They were AWESOME!!!

-We went finding with my ukulele. We knocked and offered to sing to people at the door. It was pretty awesome. Sister Sherrow won't sing with me, but Sister Hartley did, and it was so fun! Although, people might have been weirded out by two little white girls with a "little guitar" and name tags singing church hymns. Haha, whatever. 

-We met Spencer in his yard. He's spiritual and not religious. He's not sure if he believes in God, but he believes in something. He was really nice and we had a good conversation with him. We might not teach him, but he'll join the church some day. I have a feeling. :)

-We met Jason who seemed interested and we went back to teach him on Saturday. I think his mom told him some stuff about us, so he said that he wasn't interested anymore, but I could tell he is. So sad. His mom will come around some day and the whole family will be converted. I know it!

-When Sister Hartley and I were walking down a street there was a guy outside. I had a strong feeling to talk to him. He had his shirt off though which makes Sister Hartley uncomfortable, so I said to the spirit, "if you tell me to talk to him when we come back this way then I will." The feeling I had to talk to him didn't go away, so when we came back I told Sister Hartley we should knock on the door. She said "you know that's shirtless man right?" I said yes. She said ok, and we knocked. He answered (with a shirt on haha). He was about to leave so we didn't have time to talk to him, but he said to come back. His name is Trevor. Funny thing is we knocked just as he was about to open the door. He thought it was weird and of course we were freaking out inside because it's meant to be. He had a cigarette behind his ear, about a million others on his porch and beer bottles all over. He needs us. I'm super stoked to go back. 

Well, that was exchanges. It was awesome!
Some other things that happened this week:

-We knocked on Jim's door. He was eating dinner, but said to come back a little later. We waited too long and ended up knocking when he was about to walk his dog, but he said to come back any time. I have a good feeling about him. He's gonna join the church. 

-We got a member to come out with us for an hour on Saturday (Sister Mitchell, she's the best) and we went and saw our investigator Lorraine. We taught about God's love. We're sneakily teaching all the lessons, 'cause she is too busy to let us in for a whole lesson. She's so sweet. I love her! She's going to join the church.

-I also have to say that I prayed and prayed that a member could come out with us and it happened. I love God. He's so great!

-We have become friends with our neighbor Ken and his dog Sophie. We've noticed that he hasn't been carrying a cigarette for a while and he ALWAYS has a cigarette. The Lord is preparing him. He's going to be converted. 

-Our other neighbor Ryan noticed my ukulele and got super excited. I told Sister Sherrow before that'd be our way in with him, 'cause we knew he played. He's gonna be converted. 

-Unfortunately, we dropped our investigator Chris, but we know that this is best for him. He isn't progressing and he needs to figure things out on his own without us dragging him to keep commitments.

-I've had some health issues. My heart burn has been acting up really bad and I think it's because I got really sick. I also hurt my wrist a week and a half ago and don't know how. My mom suggested I get a blessing, so I did. It said I would heal, that I'll be better because of my faith and my work will not be hindered. It also said that the Lord is proud of me. I needed to hear that. 

We should get to know all of our neighbors and they will all be converted. :)

Scripture study time!
Who did it this week? 

I don't have much to say. Chapters 20-21 are kinda hard to understand since they're Isaiah, but I was able to get one thing out of it. :)

In 1 Nephi 20:2 it says "Nevertheless, they call themselves of the holy city, but they do not stay themselves upon the God of Israel."

Footnote 2b says "hypocrisy".

This scripture told me, don't just say you're a follower of Christ. BE a follower of Christ.

Let me say that again.

Don't just SAY you're a follower of Christ BE a follower of Christ.

We've been given commandments. Follow them, every single one. It doesn't matter how hard or dumb it may seem. Just do it. You will be so much happier. You will be so much closer to God. You will receive more blessings than you have room for. 

I also started reading Psalms and chapter 1 goes with this: http://www.lds.org/scriptures/ot/ps/1?lang=eng. The chapter heading says "Blessed are the righteous -- The ungodly shall perish."

Be righteous. Be a follower of Christ.

This week we will read Enos, Jerom, Omni and Words of Mormon. 

Why are we skipping 2 Nephi? Because I feel like it. I don't remember what's in the Enos, Jerom, Omni and Words of Mormon, so I feel like reading it. I'm even going to post links for you. :)

I love you all. The work is still hard, but I love it. The Lord is proud of me, and that's all I need to know. Even though we aren't finding people I know He's proud and that's good. :)

The church is true. I know it. God has a plan for each of us and we can return to live with Him one day.

Love,

Sister Heywood

P.S.

Shout out to Ryan Defig for coming home!!! So crazy! 
 




Words of Mormon: http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/w-of-m/1?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment