Monday, July 1, 2013

I Love Michigan!

Hey there everyone!  

I love Michigan! Did I say that before? Well, let me say it again. I LOVE MICHIGAN!!! 

Something I forgot to tell you last time was that I met Elder Bednar's son. No big deal. He just used to be in our ward and stuff and I shared a message with their family. It totally wasn't like intimidating and awesome. He's just an apostle's son. They are the cutest family! But sadly they moved to Utah.  

It is so humid here! Oh man! And rainy! The rain here is warm and bipolar. We were tracting in it and it was super nice, but whenever the rain stops it's more humid and more hot and I die! 

The squirrels here are super fat. Why? Because there is a club on campus dedicated to feeding the squirrels. There are also black squirrels here. Have you ever seen a black squirrel? I wanted to get a picture but they were to fast. 

I realize that sounds racist and I don't mean it to be. My apologies! 

I saw fireflies for the first time. My companion and I stood out in the warm rain and watched them for a while. It was so cool!!!! 

So, I've had a lot of cool, weird, scary and interesting experiences:

1. We went street contacting and went to talk to a lady sitting on a bench. "How are you?" we asked. Then she asked "do you want to smoke some pot?" We said "Uh, no thank you. Have a nice day!" and walked away. I've never walked so quickly. 

2. After meeting that lady we met Jason and had a really great talk with him. We taught him a lot, answered his questions, said a prayer with him and gave him a card.

3. Before we met that lady we met a guy sitting outside of the store he owns and talked with him. We plan to go back and get to know him.

4. The trio of sisters on campus invited us to dinner with them. All 5 of us cute little missionaries went to 5 Guys. On the way back there was a drunk guy sitting by one of the buildings. He said some really nasty things about us. It was creepy. He didn't see our tags or anything, but knew who we were and what we do. You know the creepy chuckles from scary movies that people don't really have? Well he had one of those laughs. We could hear what he was saying for a really long time. We all just laughed and kept walking and talking about good things, but it was definitely creepy. It was like Satan was speaking to us through this man. Not that the man was Satan, but I think because he was drunk and had no control over himself that Satan was able to talk through him. Creepy! But the spirit stuck with us and told me just to keep walking.

5. That same night we met Andre. We had plans to visit a member and then go check up on a referral. Sister Sherrow had the prompting to go and see the referral first, so we did. She was busy and we didn't get to talk to her, so we were pretty bummed, but Andre was there. He was selling magazine subscriptions. We taught him the restoration and gave him a Book of Mormon. He read some and went to church on Sunday! Unfortunately, he is from Memphis, Tennessee and his hotel that he's staying in is in Detroit, so we won't be able to teach him, but it's still super cool! Haha and he took a picture of us and put it on instagram. Look for #sisterheywood. You just might find a picture of me! :)

6. We have a new investigator named Nicole. I'm super excited about that!

7. Our investigator Heidi and her boyfriend Clarence (who is a member in our ward) got married! YAY!

8. I went on exchanges for the first time and it was awesome! I went with Sister Mickelson (who I was in the MTC with) and Sister Walker (this is her last transfer). 

I've been in Michigan for 2 weeks! Can you believe it? This Friday marks 1 month that I've been on the mission. It's going by really quickly! 

Shout out to Eric, Cindie and Summer! I love the post cards you sent me! They are hanging on my wall. :)
OH and hey Normons! I met a girl from Star Valley. She's here in Detroit waiting for her visa to go to Brazil. I forgot her name though. :( 

Joslyn! You're baby is so adorable! I am so happy for you! You are going to be a wonderful mother! 

Brother Elms at the institute taught us a lesson. He said don't be like the little mermaid. Ariel dreams of life outside of the sea (or C which = the covenant). In the original story she's in pain when she tries to walk and Ursula gets the prince and Ariel dies. Ariel doesn't get everything she wants. That's like us. If we disobey and try to find out what life is like and turn to worldly things we are doing what Satan wants. We give him our souls like Ariel gave hers. "We cannot serve God and Mammon." We all need to have courage. Have courage to stand up for what you believe in. Have courage to wear a one-piece bathing suit when everyone else is in a bakini. Have courage to stand, dress, act and speak like a devout member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would. I think that Quintin L. Cook gave a talk about going to higher ground. I was listening to that talk this morning. If a tsunami is coming GET TO HIGHER GROUND. Or better yet, STAY ON HIGHER GROUND. Higher ground is temple. Live temple worthy even if you aren't endowed. Follow all of the commandments. Do not come down for just a little bit. If you do there could be a tsunami. Satan and his followers can get you. They may not and that's why we are tempted to come down. We think "oh I'll be safe". You might get lucky, but why take the risk? Do not be afraid to be Molly Mormon or Peter Priesthood. BE Molly Mormon. BE Peter Priesthood. When you are those people, you are being Christ like. Why are we so afraid to follow all the rules and be like Christ? Can we be too Christlike? Is it bad to be too Christlike? No. Do not look for land out of the sea. Look up the song "I Will". Listen to it and live it. I love the lyrics: 

I will stand
I will not fall
In a world that's weak
I will be strong
I'll be true
I will choose His way
I know what's right
And I will not change
In a world where so many will not.
I will. 

Be like Christ and don't be afraid.  

AND DO MISSIONARY WORK!!! Don't be afraid of that either. As members of the church we have a divine purpose and calling to share the gospel and to bring people into the covenant.  

"Courage does not erase our fear. Courage is when we face our fear." -Newsies 

I love and miss you all! Have a great week.  

Talk to you all on Monday!
Love,

Sister Heywood

PS. 

I always forget things!!!  

We met the new mission president who is awesome! I love the Gerbers so much!!!

And HAPPY EARLY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment