Thursday, June 5, 2014

That Moment When....

...you pray your investigator won't get drunk Saturday night so he can make it to church on Sunday.
...you ask someone if they have a belief in Christ and they shut the door as they say "uh. ah. dah...." and you don't know if they do or not.
...you have to make sure your investigator is eating because he's been living off of coffee and cigarettes for 4 months.
...you get attacked by 9 Chihuahuas when you walk in the door.
...you have a million bug bites.
...it's sunny and then thunder storming 5 minutes later and then sunny 5 minutes after that and then freezing 5 minutes after that.
...it's hotter after it rains.
...you're asked if you've ever seen any paranormal activity.
...you help someone plant spinach and you've never gardened in your life.
...you get a watch, but have no idea how to read it.
...one of the Elders hates mushrooms, so you disguise a can of cream of mushroom soup to look like a Sprite can and give it to him.
...a ton of kids have a water fight on memorial day and you stay dry because you're a missionary.

Yup, all those things happened this week.

But here are some even better moments.
These are actually miracles. :)

We had exchanges this week.
I went with Sister Stuart the first part of the day and Sister Tracy the last part of the day.

Sister Tracy and I stopped by Mike's.
We taught him about prayer.
I had a feeling to share a scripture that said "Knock and it shall be opened unto you."
Well, I only had my Book of Mormon and I have no idea where that would be in the Book of Mormon.
I quickly turned to the index and looked up knock.
I didn't find what I wanted, but I found what I needed.
I found something even better.
2 Nephi 9:42
"And whoso knocketh, to him will he open; and the wise, and the learned, and they that are rich, who are puffed up because of their learning, and their wisdom, and their riches—yea, they are they whom he despiseth; and save they shall cast these things away, and consider themselves fools before God, and come down in the depths of humility, he will not open unto them."

I was about to read it, but the Spirit said, no.
So I didn't.
The Spirit said to listen to Mike, so I did.
THEN Mike said something and the Spirit told me what scriptures to share with him.

Now I don't know the scriptures very well and I can barely tell you where anything is, but I know the fist like 6 chapters really well.
I had a desire to use the Book of Mormon to help Mike and the Spirit helped me to call upon the little knowledge I have to help Mike.
It was awesome!
I shared:
1 Nephi 2:7 about thanking the Lord:
And it came to pass that he built an altar of stones, and made an offering unto the Lord, and gave thanks unto the Lord our God.

And 1 Nephi 2:16 about asking God questions:
And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers.

It was so cool!
THEN later the Spirit said, "ok, now it's time to share 2 Nephi 9:42."
So I did.

I haven't felt the Spirit like that in a long time.
It was nice :)

ANOTHER MIRACLE:
We were knocking doors and you know, a lot of people will talk to us through their screen door.
It's so rude and annoying, but oh well.
We've started to just hold the screen door open so that when people answer the door, the screen door is already open. :)
We also talked about if someone opens the door a little bit, we would just open it the rest of the way.

Well, we did that, but on accident haha.
We knocked on a door but we didn't open the screen door because the regular door was already open.
Michael came to the door and opened it a little bit.
Sister Watko and I just happened to open the door the rest of the way for him. 
Why? I don't know, but we did and it was a good thing we did.
He said "do you want to come in?"
We said yes and we went in and taught the Restoration.
He says he's not ready to have a relationship with God, but we're going back this week to see him again.
Pretty cool!!!!

I love this work.
I know this church is true!

I love you all and thank you for your support!
Have a blessed week!

Love,
Sister Heywood

No comments:

Post a Comment